Monday, January 19, 2009

On the eve of the Inaguration

First of all, Happy MLK day. Let us not forget how the hard work of this great man and others in his generation who paved the path for President Barack Obama. Today I was thinking of many wonderful changes this country is going to be experiencing in the near future. I know it's been hard for so many people during the last year. My wish is that we all take the time to reflect on what we can do to be better citizens and people. The financial market meltdown has (hopefully) shown us that material things are not what makes us good people. As part of my job, I work with middle school aged children in a after-school program. It saddens me to hear them say they don't care that much about what is going on in politics right now. I get angry when they say a peer is less of person because they are not wearing Baby Phat or Derreon. I want them to realize that there is more to life than things. Yes, I know that they are only children but then again it's different for them than it was for me. The world is so much more a different place and I think that the youth of America should rise up to meet the challenges that are before them. The Obama family will be a good place to start for them to look for inspiration.

No comments: